20 May 2007

OMD live - 'architecture & morality'

It was magnificent!

OMD (Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark)
'architecture & morality'
date: sat 19 may 2007
venue: hammersmith apollo

I�ve never expected to see their concert, as they seemed to have ended their career years ago. OMD is, in my understanding, an 80�s electric/techno pop band. Though they had a huge success in UK, they are not well known in Japan � I�ve met only three people ever. When I found the concert information, I though it would be an amazing experience, as I�ve never been to this kind of concert. Actually, Pet Shop Boys� ticket was also on sale. They were more successful and famous, and I myself love Pet Shop Boys, but I was more curious about how OMD play on stage. And, it was definitely a right decision!

First of all, the visual set up was excellent. In this concert, they were supposed to play songs mainly from their most acclaimed album �Architecture & Morality� (1981). In the opening of the show, some beautiful architectural 3D images have been shown on the screen, which I�ve never seen at a concert. It was so atmospheric and had a huge impact.

Music itself had much more impact than I expected. The audience were quite mature, but incredibly excited! I haven�t thought their music was that exciting and danceable and they were such a live band! At the same time, all songs were played perfectly and beautiful. I really enjoyed the perfect harmony of music and vision.


Just before anchor, �Enola Gay� was played as everyone must have expected. This is probably their best-known song, which I believe even in Japan quite many people can recognise. However, I�ve suddenly stopped shaking my body to the beat. I don�t mean I don�t like this song. The screenplay was too strong. The actual images of bombing in Hiroshima have been shown. I suddenly realised that there was no Japanese around me, and the whole audience was getting high or dancing as if they had even not been aware of what Enola Gay means. I was so confused and had a very strange feeling.

This song is literally about Enola Gay, the B-29 plane who dropped the a-bomb in Hiroshima. During the interval, I regretted that I didn�t know the actual meaning of its lyric. I thought it�s really a shame. As soon as I got home, I examined it. Then, I got relief.

�� ah Enola Gay, you should�ve never had to end this way��

No comments: