14 Feb 2007

prologue

Note: This blog has been established after the Japanese author decided to write his existing blog in English, which will still remain as 'translated version'.


In the autumn 2006, after finishing one year course of architecture in a UK university, I was supposed to go back to Japan to return to the business. One day, however, almost all of a sudden, a new idea has come to me.

'One year meant nothing to me. Why not make more attempts? Let's go as far as possible!'

Fortunately, things went so well. And I have been working for an architectural practice in London since last November.

It seems it takes just one year to adapt oneself to a new place. Only with the basis of life made up in the term, we will be able to use what we have learnt there. I would have the same feeling when I spent one year in Osaka. Thus, the forthcoming life in London must be meaningful for me than ever before, even though I am supposed to go back to Japan some day...

During the year of study in the UK, I have experienced the sequence of surprising discoveries about my country Japan. This made me realise how I should be confident of myself as a Japanese. Yes, London is attractive, but the place I would choose to live is Japan. After I finish my 'austere training' in London in the coming few years, I am intended to go back to Japan and go ahead for what I really want to do.

The work, which I have started as an architectural assistant, will mean nothing to me if I do not aim to go furhter. But in reality it is not a very easy task. As all other people around me in the office are Europeans, I can't avoid facing some disadvantages like in the use of language. But, why not face up to it with my parctical experiences and, particularly, with the confidence as a Japanese! I should do the work that only Japanese can do and leave my footprint here by realising a building with my own design, and then, return to Japan in triumph!!

No comments: